While I appreciate my desire to play with oil based inks, I do not appreciate their drying time. With a project that requires a few layers per piece I'm having to wait quite a bit between layers before able to move forward. However in saying that, they do produce a lovely colour, much better than using the rather convenient acrylic paint; And they allow a lot more play time on the plate before printing, so i get to ponder and move things around more as well as share my colour pallets with smaller plates. It's a fair trade really IF I had more time.
Here is the first larger work - it's only it's first layer, there may be another print layer over it before I move on to other mediums. I have some lovely left over ink blobs I want to work into it as texture as well. Below, on the messy table is the just finished plate before taking a print. I really like the texture on the plate, but somehow it's never the same after a print is taken, i guess that's to be expected it does somewhat flatten the image. I'll rework that texture back in a lil in the final layer.
 |
| west 1 wip |
 |
| west 1 wip |
Below are the On Plate and Print off Plate images for the first layer of
West-1. West-1 is more browns than reds. I've grown up all around
Queensland with all sorts of soils, this is more influenced from the
Coal Mining area around where Mum and Dad live in Central Queensland. I'm rather happy how it came out, it wasn't quite how I envisioned it when I started but the creative evolution sort of took over and I can see where I would like it to go in the next couple of layers. I am happy with the the colour scheme. I'm finding it difficult to be enthusiastic with some of the other pallets the Australian landscape offers. They look lovely in reality and in photography but in paintings they have always struck me as a little garish. Oranges - Greens - Blues - Yellows - Reds all in dark and bold tones. Beautiful to look at difficult to paint. But the browns and blues - and the blues and greens. Yes, I'm really loving that.
 |
| West-1: On Plate |
 |
| West-1: Print |
I'd be happy hanging this on my wall as it is! Nice going!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dan - I've been staring at it for the last couple of hours thinking I gotta add more but I'm scared
ReplyDeleteI'm scared lol I dun wanna stuff it up. I'll take the plunge later tonight - deep breath.